News and commentary on Religion, especially Southern religion.

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Advocating women in priesthood

The Vatican is threatening to excommunicate Maryknoll Priest Roy Bourgeois for supporting ordination of women into priesthood and he's flying home to defend himself.

Bourgeois' interview with Amy Goodman is at Democracy Now. He begins:

Yes. Let me put it this way, Amy. For eighteen years, I have been speaking out against the injustice of the School of the Americas, and for many years I’ve been speaking out against the injustice of the war in Iraq. As a Catholic priest for thirty-six years, in conscience, I cannot remain silent about injustice in my Church. I and many have come to the conclusion that the exclusion of women in the Catholic Church is a grave injustice, and I simply must—I cannot, in conscience, accept the Vatican’s demand that I recant my belief and my public statements in support of women’s ordination. This is simply wrong.

Read the entire interview here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. Comments are moderated. Yours will be reviewed soon.