News and commentary on Religion, especially Southern religion.

Friday, March 26, 2010

Conservative intellectual honesty's price: Part II

Just as David Frum was fired for his "Waterloo" analysis of the Republican health reform loss, Bruce Bartlett was fired by National Center for Policy Analysis in 2005 when he shared with them the manuscript of his book, "The Impostor: How George W. Bush Bankrupted America and Betrayed the Reagan Legacy."

Bartlett reflected Thursday on the scope of the scope of the intellectual dishonesty involved in Frum's dismissal.

The takeaway:

Since, he is no longer affiliated with AEI, I feel free to say publicly something he told me in private a few months ago. He asked if I had noticed any comments by AEI "scholars" on the subject of health care reform. I said no and he said that was because they had been ordered not to speak to the media because they agreed with too much of what Obama was trying to do.

It saddened me to hear this. I have always hoped that my experience was unique. But now I see that I was just the first to suffer from a closing of the conservative mind. Rigid conformity is being enforced, no dissent is allowed, and the conservative brain will slowly shrivel into dementia, if it hasn't already.

Indeed, some Religious Right minds have already descended into doleful echolalia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. Comments are moderated. Yours will be reviewed soon.