News and commentary on Religion, especially Southern religion.

Sunday, December 7, 2008

How tangled an IMB Web?

Frink calls attention to a retired insurance broker's assessment of the Southern Baptist International Mission Board's embezzlement coverup:

So .. I was really shocked when I heard about the Gray Harvey case. Not only have I been active in churches for 45 years or so, in the SBC for 27+ years, but I spent 50 years in the Property & Casualty Insurance business, which is the line of business that covers stuff like employees stealing. So I know a bit about that.

For one thing, I doubt that the SBC insured employee theft. If they had, they would have been reimbursed for Mr. Harvey's theft, and I figure the insurance company would either have collected from the malefactor, or prosecuted. I DON'T figure they'd have let it die a natural, peaceful death.

He makes his view of the IMB trustees who allowed the case to go unprosecuted and took the reported oath of silence quite clear when he says:

If I was somebody like Sam Walton, and this sort of shenanigans had gone on in MY company, I'd fire the lot of them.

We concur, although former IMB trustee Wade Burleson's attempt to hold them to account earned him a drumbeat of anonymous criticism which implied that Burleson was egolistically damaging missionary efforts, until Burleson responded:

If you are the person who used to work for the board and worked with Gray Harvey, you may also be the person that two people told me was involved in the embezzlement.

Please email at wwburleson@hotmail.com and I will tell you if you are the one identified by two people, in writing, as an accomplice.

In His Grace

Wade

Fri Dec 05, 10:04:00 PM 2008

Accomplices?

How tangled is the disastrously miswoven web?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. Comments are moderated. Yours will be reviewed soon.