News and commentary on Religion, especially Southern religion.

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Williamson apologizes but does not recant

Holocaust-denying Bishop Richard Williamson apologized today, after being booted out of Argentina, where on Feb. 9 he was dismissed as director of the Society of St. Pius X (SSPX) seminary in La Reja.

"I can truthfully say that I regret having made such remarks, and that if I had known beforehand the full harm and hurt to which they would give rise, especially to the Church, but also to survivors and relatives of victims of injustice under the Third Reich, I would not have made them," Williamson said, according to the website of Zenit, a Catholic news agency. . . .
"To all souls that took honest scandal from what I said, before God I apologise," he said. . . .
He did not say in his apology whether he had changed his views.

His failure to recant earned him the immediate rejection of some Jewish groups. This is a case in which half a measure should not be good enough for anyone.

Lest anyone be confused about where we stand: "Never again."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. Comments are moderated. Yours will be reviewed soon.